Thread about nothing

Chat about anything... (as long as it is a sensible debate :-) )
meteocaldas
Language Admin
Language Admin
Station model: OS WMR-88A
Software: Cumulus

Re: Thread about nothing

Post by meteocaldas » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 am

polbrieuc wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:22 pm Thinking about how I spent the first evening of my vacation week trying to make my website responsive (old version here compared to new site here ) when I should have gone directly to Meteotemplate.
At least I learnt from my mistakes...
Adding blocks and plugins is much more gratifying than searching for the misplaced comma in a CSS or PHP.
Now you know why Meteotemplate is a masterpiece!
And you are just beggining... :D
Wellcome!
Bienvenido!
Benvinguda!
Bem vindo!

http://www.meteocaldas.com/mtp

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: WH1080

Post by polbrieuc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 pm

It's impossible for me to install blocks and plugins without wanting to tweak them or create new ones...
I'm thinking about a simple version of flightradar that would show the planes flying over the station or the user location (along with a mobile friendly dynamic text block to inform which are the plane over your head). It surely already exist somewhere but the challenge would be to do it from scratch, caching data from OpenSky and using OpenLayer.
Another one is a simple alert when the air quality is bad and there is traffic restriction (in Barcelona cars that are more than 10 years cannot circulate on those days, it would be nice to know it before leaving home to avoid the fines).
I'll also have to get a look at the forest fire risk before summer...
Maybe I should start by putting some relevant content in my site first...
So much to do, so little time...

Johnny
Developer
Developer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Software: Meteobridge

Post by Johnny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:55 pm

I know it's not quite what you're asking for but I'm guessing you already know about the Air Traffic plugin: http://www.watfordweather.co.uk/plugins ... /index.php

Johnny
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus: http://www.watfordweather.uk

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Johnny wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:55 pm I know it's not quite what you're asking for but I'm guessing you already know about the Air Traffic plugin: http://www.watfordweather.co.uk/plugins ... /index.php

Johnny
No, I missed this plugin. So I guess 90% of the work is already done. I'll have a look later when I finish tweaking the airquality block. Thanks for the tip !

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm

I keep playing around, learning how to do blocks...
My last one : Traffic Alerts.
It looks like that :

The most difficult part was the setup page :

I am having my visitors to test it and I'll probably post a more complete entry in the Blocks section of this forum.
Does anybody knows if attaching code is allowed in this forum ? Or should I send it directly to Jachym for review ?

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:24 am

Hi,
feel free to post any code you want, thats absolutely fine.

However I will not implement this because this exact block/plugin type (traffic) has been discussed about a yr ago and users came to conclusion that it is not weather-related and I do not want to make a website about everything. You could argue that there is already air traffic, but that one is slightly more weather related because obviously air traffic is affected a lot by weather. Normal car traffic not so. As soon as we start adding things like this it would become a mess.

Again, feel free to do it and feel free to post code, thats great! but I want to keep the number of blocks and plugins within reasonable limit and weather-related.

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks for your answer Jachym.
I do agree that traffic alerts are not really related to weather but it happens that part of my visitors use the website to check the conditions in the morning and the info on traffic is quite relevant to them.
You mentionned that the conversation on this topic already took place last year, is there any place where I can check it ? ( I could not find it on the forum and I would like to see if there were any suggestions about features before the decision was taken not to implement it)
Was there also some conversations about providing the possibility for visitors to register ? (normal registration process and access to profile to keep configuration details like design, language, etc). If so, I would be interested in accessing it.

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:19 am

Hi,
sorry, I do not remember exactly where and when it was. I know it was on one of the forums. Someone suggested it and before I had time to answer other users replied it is not weather related etc. It could have been the WX forum, WD forum or the WeatherCat forum, I am active on all of them. It was about 1-1.5yrs ago.

I totally understand some users of your webpage might like it which is why I said feel absolutely free to use it or even post code for it here. Im absolutely fine with that.

Regarding registration - there is no need for it because units, language etc. are saved as a cookie and so the next time they visit the page, their setting is used automatically.

Johnny
Developer
Developer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Post by Johnny » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Just to wish all 399 forum members and their families a very Happy Christmas and all the best in 2018.

Chimney.png
Chimney.png (71.69 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus: http://www.watfordweather.uk