WS-1401-IP

Dehatter
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WH80
Software: Ecowitt GW1000

WS-1401-IP

Post by Dehatter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:45 am

I have a WS-1401-IP and I am thrilled overall with the unit. I have been operating it since Sept 21, 2017 (4 months). I did not have a lot of money to put into a station and this thing, for the buck is a beast. Unfortunately, for the template, I am stuck with WU as the source. Using WU itself is well ... it's WU and what else can you say, especially after last week. The ambientweather.net site functions very very well. It updates the screen-view once per minute, with 5 minute tables and graphs. As a very bright note, the website has yet to be down since I received the station, You can also export their tables (CSV) and import them here, and that is how I overcame WU's instability last week. When WU is working right, it updates there every 16 seconds. Customer service is unreal. Ed, from Ambient, emails me back within the hour (usually), and actually listens and responds to suggestions - he even changed the website within 2 hours of one of my issues.

If anyone is looking for a low cost, yet quality station, with decent specifications, I can not recommend this unit more highly.

If you have any questions, please ask!!

Johnny
Developer
Developer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Software: Meteobridge

Re: WS-1401-IP

Post by Johnny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:56 am

Hi Tom, glad to hear you're getting on with your new station - it's nice to hear about good customer service, in the UK this station has a different badge and is sold by Greenfrog Scientific (no affiliation).

Looks like there are two versions as well:
The WS-1401-IP replaces the WS-1400-IP. The WS-1400-IP uses rechargeable batteries that are charged by a solar collector. The WS-1401-IP uses a super capacitor for energy storage, and is charged by the solar collector in the day, and non-rechargeable batteries at night.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus: http://www.watfordweather.uk

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm

I was not able to find a 1400. I do not think they are selling it any longer, but I am happy with the capacitor version anyway as the temp ranges for rechargeable batteries is much narrower than the capacitor. There is also the slight fire hazard if one was using li-ion rechargeable instead of standard rechargeable.
Tom

weather display
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis VP2
Software: weather display

Post by weather display » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 pm

I think only the units sold by ambient work with their cloud server weather web site (ambient check the hardware and block non ambient sold ones)
ie so any clones, e.g those sold in the UK, will not work with that
(but will work OK with wunderground)

dmgould
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Davis Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Software: Meteobridge

Post by dmgould » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:43 pm

I had constant problems with my 1400-IP communicating with my Meteobridge. I replaced both the observer IP unit and the indoor sensor, neither of which solved the problem. I finally decided the issue was with the observer IP talking to the Meteobridge. Ultimately I bought a Davis VP2 Pro from Ambient which I interfaced to my Meteobridge. I retired the observer IP unit completely and bought a WS-1001 WiFi console which links directly to the indoor and outdoor sensors from the 1400. That setup works great. Yes, Ed is very helpful.
Dave G

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 pm

I am hoping that I have better luck. I have ordered one of the flashable routers listed to install meteobridge on. I know nothing about it so I I guess I will learn a little bit.

LOBWX
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Ambient WS 1401-IP
Software: MeteoBridge

Post by LOBWX » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:29 am

Hijack alert!!

I too just ordered the WS 1401 IP. I currently use the WS 0900 IP, and just realized it only had a 8 point wind compass. Anyway, with this upgrade to my weather station it also UV and Solar Rad monitoring. and a few other items as well :)

What should I be aware of as far as the Meteotemplate receiving this new data.

Is it a simple setting in the config file and that's it?

Also, about the database table is R & RR where the data will go for UV & Solar Rad?

Just thinking ahead for a smooth upgrade plan.
Just BE NICE! That's all it takes to be a decent human...

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:20 am

I love my 1401.

You need to enable extra sensors dB for the UV. Solar works off the regular dB.

I am using the hacked version of the today block and it works really well for showing the UV.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1276&p=6227#p5965

I also changed the dB options to eliminate the decimals as the station does not report decimals. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but if you are interested I will dig it out.

If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Tom