WU going down?!?!

Fraggboy
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Bloomsky II + Storm
Software: Bloomsky

WU going down?!?!

Post by Fraggboy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 pm

So I receive an email from WU that my PWS is offline. I frantically verify that I have internet at the house and it's up and running.

I then go to WU website and it's very slow. I can't login to see the status of my PWS, etc..

Oh well. I really want to login and remove my devices.. I'm tired and done with WU..

meteocaldas
Language Admin
Language Admin
Station model: OS WMR-88A
Software: Cumulus

Re: WU going down?!?!

Post by meteocaldas » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:55 am

WU is absolutely down down down since 4 hours ago.
Forecasts, partner station and even my WU page, all down :-(

John B
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: La Crosse WS2355
Software: Weather Display

Post by John B » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:28 am

Problems here as well, Fraggyboy, but no off-line notification. I have my son's WU file as a Partner Station. It's showing zero data. The map though seems to be showing correct information. Any attempt to access his WU records (or mine) results in either a time-out or server error message.

WU does seem to be having problems, not just today, and I pulled my web cam uploads a few weeks ago. I do like checking my local stations on the site's map and am hesitant about withdrawing completely as that reduces its usefulness to other nearby station owners. I am assuming that this is just another hiccough on the site and will give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Of course all this begs the question 'Where is WU heading?' Given the fact that it has grown to be a commercial enterprise does it need to keep supporting, for no charge, sites like yours and mine? Add to that the variations in reporting from stations in the same area, some of which - at least in my location - are significant. There are good reason for that in certain instances; for example, one of my local stations is a plant nursery and it is likely that station is set deliberately in a position so as to report non-shaded readings and close to the ground for frost.

weather display
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis VP2
Software: weather display

Post by weather display » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:53 am

they have not kept up to date with resources with the growth in weather station data
especially as a lot of new stations can be set to update straight to Wunderground as a (and sometimes only) way to see the data

Fraggboy
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by Fraggboy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:55 pm

WU does have a pay service to remove the ad's. I think the members who provide WU their personal data receive this for free.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this is all related to the costs of storage. They removed the ability to upload PWS cam's. The only conclusion I think is that they can pay for the increased storage, but don't have the members to back it up, or their backend isn't that flexible (Ability to add more storage 'on the fly')..

weather display
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis VP2
Software: weather display

Post by weather display » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:44 pm

nicoloconte
Station model: WS1001
Software: WU

Post by nicoloconte » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am

Hi all,
my PWS is down (IMARIANO13). Anyone else is having the same problems?

Fraggboy
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by Fraggboy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:42 pm

weather display wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:44 pm more info here
https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/w ... fugpjga7xv
Thank you for sharing.. :) It seems that WU is here to stay. . .

didoujm
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2
Software: WEATHER DISPLAY

Post by didoujm » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:30 pm

wu ne fonctionne pas gros bug
didier

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin
Station model: WH1080
Software: Meteobridge

Post by Jachym » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 pm

I posted about this in the Blog recently. If it wasnt for Meteotemplate I would completely abandon WU support. I decided not to remove it, but whatever breaks as a result of WU I will remove instead of fixing it, Im tired of their constant inconsistency, unreliability and most importnatly, their arrogant behavior when you try to contact them or there is a problem.

Johnny
Developer
Developer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Post by Johnny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I just received this message from Weather Underground this evening:
Dear PWS Owner,

We want to take the time to acknowledge, explain and apologise for the PWS network issues that you may have experienced over the past week. We’re happy to say the issues are now resolved and your service is fully restored.

The interruption of service was related to the hot patches applied to our servers to correct the recent Intel hardware security flaws. We can say with 100% confidence that the data you share with us is completely safe. The patches required systems to be rebooted and, as these systems came back online, many of them did not boot up cleanly.

Weather Underground was founded 23 years ago and some of the code and infrastructure supporting the PWS Network still date back to 1994. We invested significant resources to modernise that infrastructure in 2017 and those updates are nearly complete.

We thank you for your loyalty over the years in contributing to the World’s Largest PWS Network and look forward to continue serving you.

The WU Team
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus: http://www.watfordweather.uk

John B
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: La Crosse WS2355

Post by John B » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Likewise, Johnny. We shall see in due course. :|

Johnny
Developer
Developer

Post by Johnny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi John, since using Meteotemplate it's so rare that I look at my WU page, I just had a peep and I've had an astonishing one view this month (which is probably me) :) A few years ago I think it used to be 300 plus a month, then it dropped to half that, now just one :lol:

On a completely separate point, I just noticed that's three of us with the initials JB, you, me and Jachym - anyone else?

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin
Station model: WH1080

Post by Jachym » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Johnny wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 pm I just received this message from Weather Underground this evening:
Dear PWS Owner,

We want to take the time to acknowledge, explain and apologise for the PWS network issues that you may have experienced over the past week. We’re happy to say the issues are now resolved and your service is fully restored.

The interruption of service was related to the hot patches applied to our servers to correct the recent Intel hardware security flaws. We can say with 100% confidence that the data you share with us is completely safe. The patches required systems to be rebooted and, as these systems came back online, many of them did not boot up cleanly.

Weather Underground was founded 23 years ago and some of the code and infrastructure supporting the PWS Network still date back to 1994. We invested significant resources to modernise that infrastructure in 2017 and those updates are nearly complete.

We thank you for your loyalty over the years in contributing to the World’s Largest PWS Network and look forward to continue serving you.

The WU Team
How typical for WU - blame it on someone else.... Everyone had to apply those patches - Google, Microsoft... I didnt notice any longterm interruptions there...

dmgould
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Davis Pro 2 Plus Wireless

Post by dmgould » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Johnny wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 pm Hi John, since using Meteotemplate it's so rare that I look at my WU page, I just had a peep and I've had an astonishing one view this month (which is probably me) :) A few years ago I think it used to be 300 plus a month, then it dropped to half that, now just one :lol:

On a completely separate point, I just noticed that's three of us with the initials JB, you, me and Jachym - anyone else?
Since they've been back up my counter shows 1 most of the time too, but not always. Both of mine are showing 21 right now, but later today they will probably be back down at 1. My cameras were back showing for a day, and now they are back down again.
Dave G

Dehatter
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WH80
Software: Ecowitt GW1000

Post by Dehatter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 am

As of today, I am divorced from WU. Using a Meteobridge device to receive my data instead of WU. The Meteobridge device is now reporting to WU in a classic example of irony. See viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1124 for a description of my device and experience.

You can also goto http://config.meteobridge.com/ and test if your PWS can be configured (test meaning you can build a configuration, but not save or use it).

Tom

Fraggboy
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by Fraggboy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:57 pm

I just removed my PWS from WU. I'm not providing them my data any more..

Thankfully I don't need to replace WU to keep my website functioning. I was just being courteous in providing them my weather information.

Johnny
Developer
Developer

Post by Johnny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am

WU Doesn't seem to be working here on Monday 23rd April 2018, anyone else notice the same problem?

Weather Underground Error.JPG
Weather Underground Error.JPG (43.05 KiB) Viewed 12469 times

iatros
Language Admin
Language Admin
Station model: Davis Pro 2 6163

Post by iatros » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:18 am

Language Admin für Deutsch

Johnny
Developer
Developer

Post by Johnny » Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 am

If anyone else is still using Weather Underground, I have noticed in the last week that many Weather Stations near me (on the little map that shows on your page) have disappeared. They all seemed to be the ones that were Netatmo stations. Once again this is probably something to do with GDPR that came into effect on the 25th May 2018.

georg
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Pro 2+

Post by georg » Wed May 30, 2018 2:51 pm

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:26 am

Not sure how I missed this tread but I no longer worry about my wunderground site anymore https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... M2#history as I well no longer worry about them, CWOP or APRS.

Tired of the garbage over more than the last 6 months or longer actually. Gave notice and turned feed off to them after I noticed my API key no longer worked on WU on the 25th of May but mysteriously when I checked today it was back up but all my stats are gone and have 30 raindrops back on my API page. No matter, I was insulted by their ludicrous new user policy. As I said before... they more than likely won't miss me and I won't miss them. Oh did I mention I am... errrr was the only one feeding them from my town.

Andy

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:39 am

georg wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:51 pm Stil working here
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IARLOESE2
No your feed to them will not stop. Of course they want your data... for free. You trying to retrieve via your API key will no longer work except for a fee of $800-$850 a month. Not a very good trade off.

Andy