NOAA Weather Radio Template Suggestion

acatalano
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Software: CumulusMX

NOAA Weather Radio Template Suggestion

Post by acatalano » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:11 pm

NOAA broadcasts weather forecasts, observations and various local warnings via radio at several frequencies near 162.5 Mhz. These require a special, but low-cost radio receiver. Because the radio broadcasts are via low power transmitters they reach only the local area often only 1 per County, but this means there are thousands of them. As a result it's impractical for NOAA to stream them, so they say. However a volunteer organization noaaweatherradio.org streams the stations that are submitted by volunteers, such as myself. I stream the local Boulder-Denver, CO station.

I've built a custom page on my Meteotemplates site to stream the station, but this is just a link to my other site that uses the Saratoga templates. Ken True provides a page for that, but also provides the php code for a non-Saratoga template user. I thought I'd suggest that Jachym consider adding this feature as it might encourage others to stream this useful service. If the existing php code could be re-purposed it might be relatively straightforward.
Best Regards,
Anthony Catalano
Boulder, CO
Websites: www.apcat.org www.boulderwx.com www.boulderweather.org
Blitzortung Lighting Detector Station 1965

Jeffm5690
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Davis Pro 2
Software: Weather Display

Re: NOAA Weather Radio Template Suggestion

Post by Jeffm5690 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:40 am

Hey there. A while back there was a block but since the source was not reliable the block was removed. I had it and it worked well but then the stream was gone one day. I know others had the same issue with reliability hence I believe Jachym pulled it.

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin
Station model: WH1080
Software: Meteobridge

Post by Jachym » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:04 am

The NOAA radio is normally not available online, it was streamed by WU, which canceled it.

acatalano
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Software: CumulusMX

Post by acatalano » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Jachym:

The streams are available from www.noaaweatherradio.org Ken True of Saratoga Templates has a design for his system which I use at www.boulderwx.com/wxradio.php. He has provided a "generic" php script that anyone can copy & use also. I have added the stream that I provide to noaaweatheradio.org on my site using Meteotemplates: www.boulderweather.org if you wish to take a look. You can also see & listen to the stations at www.noaaweatherradio.org. This is a much better alternative than WU IMHO as WU seems to be getting less and less reliable. I've given up having my webcam there as I was tired of not being able to connect via FTP.
Best Regards,
Anthony Catalano
Boulder, CO
Websites: www.apcat.org www.boulderwx.com www.boulderweather.org
Blitzortung Lighting Detector Station 1965

Daali
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Ecowitt GW1002
Software: Meteobridge, FOSHKplugin

Post by Daali » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up acatalano!

I had the old block and did not realize it was dead. I took your suggestion and just made a simple /pages/wxradio/wxradio.php. You do have to comment out some of the saratoga includes though.
https://www.jeffersonweather.com
GW1000 gateway
WS68 Anemometer
WH40 Rain Gauge
WH32 Temp/Hum
WH57 Lightning
WH41 PM2.5 Air Quality
WH45 PM2.5/10/Co2 Air Quality
WN34S Soil temperature
WH31SM Soil Moisture