Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin
Station model: WH1080
Software: Meteobridge

Post by Jachym » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi guys,
time to start thinking about an update to version 18. I have a few things that I want to fix, however, to be quite honest, it is getting more and more difficult to come up with some new features. Over the last 17 versions I added practically all ideas that I had. I therefore welcome any ideas you might have.
However, please keep in mind these might not all be added. There are often things that might look cool or easy, but looking at it from a different perspective they might be problematic or extremely time-consuming. What I can promise is that I will read all your replies below and see what I can come up with.
A few tips:

- I want to concentrate especially on things that all users can benefit from (i.e. I understand for example a few of you have some very unique sensor that you might want to see implemented, but given my limited time I want to concentrate on things that can be used by a larger proportion of users, likewise some hyperlocal plugins/blocks are something Im currently not really considering)

- I would rather add/modify things which do not rely on other sources - honestly, if I was to design Meteotemplate today from scratch I would not create so many scripts which use external sources. It is of course nice because it is often impossible to use your own station - radar data, forecasts, current conditions from the country, earthquake data, marine, flight data.... on the other hand, these services often change their pages, APIs etc. and it all becomes a nightmare to maintain. Lot of time goes into it with no visible effect (other than "it works") and I therefore want to concentrate on things, which are unlikely to "break".

- there is already quite a few features and pages, this is not to say I will not consider adding new ones, but maybe improving on already existing things or adding more customization options is a better choice

In conclusion - you are free to suggest what you want and I will choose what I want from it depending on several things - usefulness, how well it fits to the concept of Meteotemplate, how many users would use it and how difficult it would be to implement (sometimes trivial things might mean rewriting dozens of scripts), how well I can test it.

At this point I also cannot tell when the new version will be out, because I still dont know what exactly it will include.

proger
Observer
Observer
Station model: davis vantage vue

Re: 18.0

Post by proger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:45 am

To be honest I think for a template that serves a personal weather station,
I can't think of any more to put in here. For me it has it all and more :)

Thanks for perfect template

Roger

Johnny
Developer
Developer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Post by Johnny » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:03 am

Hi Jachym,

One problem that I see crop up in many posts is the problem with the way .jpgs are stored from web cams, the main problem seems to be their build up on your hosting plan, before you know it you're getting a warning from your hosting company saying that you've exceeded your maximum 'Indodes'

I know this has been discussed before and it maybe too complicated to change after MTs original design, but it would be nice to see a folder hierarchy similar to below and an automatic delete process after so many days/weeks/months/years or maybe, we're now in March, therefore delete all of January, we're now in April delete all of February.

WebCam Hierarchy.JPG
WebCam Hierarchy.JPG (22.46 KiB) Viewed 10372 times

On a more selfish request (which will have very few MT users needing), a lightning block counter for the Weatherflow station (assuming it will hook up to Meteobridge as planned).

As Roger mentions above, MT pretty much has everything and the kitchen sink already - so you may have to retire early. :)
Last edited by Johnny on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus: http://www.watfordweather.uk

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am

Hi Johnny,

- webcam - planned, this however is a plugin, so not related to v18
- lightning counter - API supports already supports lightnings.... so once it is being sent by MB I can create a block/plugin without modifying the template

Right so so far it looks like you are telling me to keep v17 :D

proger
Observer
Observer
Station model: davis vantage vue

Post by proger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Would be nice to have the facebook share button to show todays weather with a picture.
Or at least a nice picture of the website.
Never got that thing to work
If you understand what I say.

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi,
not quite, but you can share the sticker, the one you have in your signature. It shows current conditions with a few max/mins. Once shared to FB, FB saves the current image so it wont change anymore and will create what you are after.

Johnny
Developer
Developer

Post by Johnny » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:56 am

Jachym wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am - webcam - planned, this however is a plugin, so not related to v18
- lightning counter - API supports already supports lightnings.... so once it is being sent by MB I can create a block/plugin without modifying the template :D
Excellent.png
Excellent.png (42.8 KiB) Viewed 10322 times

BlueBear
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Davis VP2
Software: WeeWx

Post by BlueBear » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:31 pm

I can think of a couple things I'd like to see"

- I use a custom image in the header, would be nice if could automatically switch images based on season or some other criteria!

- "Go To Top:" button for those long long pages

- any room for more optimization to speed page loading? not complaining about current just wondering!

Bill

LOBWX
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Ambient WS 1401-IP
Software: MeteoBridge

Post by LOBWX » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm all for the Go To Top Button idea BlueBear mentioned.

It would be even more special if said button was not stuck/static at the bottom of the page but rather a floating button, along with the option to use the button... or not.

~Bob~
Just BE NICE! That's all it takes to be a decent human...

Aussie Susan
Observer
Observer
Station model: WH1001

Post by Aussie Susan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Support for iOS.
I know that there are 'work around's available and that this is more a background technical thing but it would open a new market.
Susan

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:40 am

Hi guys,

- go to top floating button - already implemented on some pages, so you have to tell me which ones exactly you would like me to add this to as well (ideally a link and keep in mind we are now talking about the template, not blocks or plugins)

- iOS - MT runs in a browser, which means that it completely disregards the OS, running MT in Chrome, Firefox etc. on Windows or Mac will make no difference

BlueBear
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Davis VP2

Post by BlueBear » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:52 am

Pages needing the go to top floating button
- Main page - PaulMy's for example http://www.komokaweather.com/j-template ... esktop.php
- Admin Pages - Block and Plugin setups

At one time you mad a comment that maybe it could be implemented in footer.php ???

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Hello Jachym!!!

1) A few things others have mentioned "Johnny" About the cam capture which I have myself thought about and reluctant to mention because of the work already involved. I have been thinking myself but have not had to worry as with my host (1an1) I don't need to do anything for the next 4-5 years on an unlimited plan but still have a max limit of 1 terabyte which as I said at 5 min intervals will for the most part run out. I have been running through my head how to write a script to delete from the DB by month or year and again from the upload plugin folder by month or by year only.

2) The other thing I'd like to see in the "Data quality check" is a sticky for the top bar as you have on the main opening screen but again reluctant to ask as I am not sure what is involved or difficulty level in changing this.

https://andykere-hotmail.tinytake.com/s ... 84MzA4NDY0

I from time to time have to do manual edits due to power failures or OBserverIP issues I don't always catch in the time waiting for the site is down emails. I have a hard time even after doing it so many times remember which colume goes with which I need to edit.

For the time being this is all I can think of as you already have more features, charts, graphs installed than I would have imagined for a project of this sort for which I tremendously thank you for. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Andy

Edit: I just remember one other thing I was thinking about. Adding the ability in the footer a small link in the bottom left side
to add our own privacy policy and cookie policy as required by EU laws now.

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi,
I will look at the rest, just regarding your GDPR note, MT does not store any user personal data so you dont need any cookie notice, I know some people did this themselves, but I think it is redundant and only annoying. MT is not a site where you register with a name etc. Nothing like that is stored anywhere. Cookie is only used to store eg. color scheme and such information does not require this notice.

andyk1
Professional
Professional

Post by andyk1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Jachym wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 pm Hi,
I will look at the rest, just regarding your GDPR note, MT does not store any user personal data so you dont need any cookie notice, I know some people did this themselves, but I think it is redundant and only annoying. MT is not a site where you register with a name etc. Nothing like that is stored anywhere. Cookie is only used to store eg. color scheme and such information does not require this notice.
Hi Jachym and thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm well aware that MT doesn't store any user data other than cookies but the way I read the GDPR isn't some sort of notice required to inform users that in fact MT does not store there user info etc.?

Andy

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:06 pm

No, GDPR does not mean you have to "always" inform about the situation. It stands for "general data protection regulation" and is intended for pages/users which store personal data. Others dont have to worry about it.

Aussie Susan
Observer
Observer
Station model: WH1001

Post by Aussie Susan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:32 pm

re my suggestion about iOS: I should have said iPad as per viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1356&p=6401&hilit=ipad#p6401
Susan

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:23 am

Hi,
I think the problem with iPad was one of the menus, which should be ok in the new mobile version. Also I have no way to test what iPad does and it behaves oddly so Im afraid this is something that will remain like this. I tried several options (blindly) and was told it did not work

Dehatter
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WH80
Software: Ecowitt GW1000

Post by Dehatter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 pm

I do wish there was a better mobile option. To get the data on the go I need, I have to use a different template for my iPad and iPhone.

I really wish I only needed to maintain a single template.

I would offer to help build a module style mobile platform but my programming skills are not such that I can.
I would be happy to work with someone who has programming skills with the organization and design of such a platform,

I have read where some have started such a project but not heard of a finish.

As to the desktop, I actually cannot think of a single piece of information that I do not have a pathway to getting.
Floating Top button sounds good, but the Home button works fine for me. I actually have "Home" programmed into my mouse as button 3, so I don't even use the keyboard.

Tom

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi Tom,
the mobile version introduced in v17 should work fine on any device. I tried it on several phones, tablets, including apple, so if there is something that is not working, please let me know.

This one:
http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/p ... /index.php

andyk1
Professional
Professional

Post by andyk1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:45 am

Have upgraded my phone to a 1080p screen I have no issues looking at my mobile version. Older phone at 720p was an issue but still somewhat manageable. On my older 10" ASUS TF700T tablet also no issues in Standard or mobile version.

Andy

Dehatter
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WH80
Software: Ecowitt GW1000

Post by Dehatter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Jachym wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 pm the mobile version introduced in v17 should work fine on any device.
Sorry to make it confusing. What is offered on the mobile version of the page works as intended. It just is nowhere near enough information for me on a day to day basis, or to monitor my station.

I think we already had this discussion, so I am not going there again.

I just have chosen to use the mobile version of a different template to get what I need.

I know your position on the subject I will leave it at that.

I am happy to discuss outside the forum at any time.

Tom

andyk1
Professional
Professional

Post by andyk1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Tom!!!

Can you do me a favor when you have time and look at my mobile version with your iPhone and ipad and tell me if you have a difficult time viewing. I am curious what others see.

Andy

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jachym » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 am

Tom which template are you using?

Johnny
Developer
Developer

Post by Johnny » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:20 am

Hi Andy, screen grabs below of your site on an iPad, landscape and then portrait:

Nicoma-Park-Landscape.jpg
Nicoma-Park-Landscape.jpg (58.86 KiB) Viewed 10137 times
Nicoma-Park-Portrait.jpg
Nicoma-Park-Portrait.jpg (202.41 KiB) Viewed 10137 times