Android App Brainstorming

Would you be interested in an Android application ?

Yes, why not...
13%
Yes, and I would participate to the testing phase.
61%
No, I don't see the point.
4%
I'm an Apple fan, I would prefer an iOS application.
22%

Total votes: 82

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: WH1080
Software: Cumulus

Re: Android App Brainstorming

Post by polbrieuc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Pavel wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:53 pm Hi, a problem with a mobile application Samsung S4 - no application can run version 0.4 or 0.4.1 version 0.3 worked, but the left menu was not displayed correctly, only site and about, otherwise all gray
Hello Pavel,

The greyed menus options on the left in version 0.3 were normal.
Can you detail what exactly happens on your Samsung S4 ? Does the application crash right away ? Did you try to delete the cache (or completely uninstall the app) before installing ?

Pavel
Observer
Observer
Station model: TFA 35.1075 NEXUS
Software: Meteobridge

Post by Pavel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:43 pm

polbrieuc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:55 pm

The greyed menus options on the left in version 0.3 were normal.
Can you detail what exactly happens on your Samsung S4 ? Does the application crash right away ? Did you try to delete the cache (or completely uninstall the app) before installing ?
application froze immediately after launch, after a long time message that the application is not responding, I tried everything, erase even clean install

nitrx
Advisor
Advisor

Post by nitrx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:38 am

Hi polbrieuc,
I can say the the app works fine on my Galaxy S5 , I think you've done a geat job sofar. Only concerning is when other users will use the app do they really know that they've to swipe the menu from the right ... there is no indicator for this.

Keep up the good work
http://apeldoornmeteo.nl meteotemplate multilangual by Jachym
http://www.apeldoorn.tk/weer/index.php Saratogatemplate by mulilangual
http://apeldoorn.tk/weer Cumulus template Dutch only by Steve/Sandaysoft
http://apeldoornmeteo.nl/pws/ Home Weather Station by Brian multilangual

ON1GL
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Software: Meteotemplate/MeteoBridge

Post by ON1GL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 pm

reworked the ip section here on the server , the old ip is gone, can you please put the url (weer.on1gl.be) back, that should (hopefully) work.
app problem:
The app had the old ip adress in it (that had gone away), it showed a blank screen at startup and locked, had to close the app, can't do anything anymore with it(always blank screen).

Luc

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:03 am

Version 0.4.2 of the app is released.
You can fidn the details and download it here.
Please do not forget to download the plugin, install/update it and save your settings (even if you do not modify anything) <-- IMPORTANT
Apart from bug fixes, this release brings language selection (in settings) and bug reports (in left menu, last option)
Language selection for the app won't show you much, as the content is not yet translated. I'll still have to think about how we will approach translations. A system similar to what Jachym is using is quite appealing (but would have to be adapted to the app resource files format). anyway, translation should start when there is a stable version.

A couple of screenshots :
ImageImageImageImage

ON1GL wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 pm reworked the ip section here on the server , the old ip is gone, can you please put the url (weer.on1gl.be) back, that should (hopefully) work.
app problem:
The app had the old ip adress in it (that had gone away), it showed a blank screen at startup and locked, had to close the app, can't do anything anymore with it(always blank screen).
url modified in the site list, your site is now available.
The fact that the app froze while your site was unavailable is a bug, I'll look at it. (if it happens again, delete the cache and data from the app)
Pavel wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:43 pm application froze immediately after launch, after a long time message that the application is not responding, I tried everything, erase even clean install
I would need more info, like the OS version of your device. Also, please install version 0.4.2 and confirm if the issue is still happening.
nitrx wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:38 am Only concerning is when other users will use the app do they really know that they've to swipe the menu from the right ... there is no indicator for this.
Left Navigation menu appearing by swiping right from the left of the screen is becoming quite mainstream these days. Apps like Twitter or Google analytics are using it.
We could think of making this left menu's presence more explicit by always displaying the icons. That's an option. But it would take some space from a very limited amount (especially on mobile phones)
I am really bad at design in general so all inputs on this are welcome. what does the rest of the testers think ?

As usual, please use this forum to share your comments and feedbacks or contact me directly.
For bug reports, you can obviously use the Bug Report functionnality within the app (and it is the preferred way as it allows me to get the logs)

Cheers,

Pol-Brieuc

ON1GL
Observer
Observer

Post by ON1GL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am

upgraded from 0.4.1 to 0.4.2 (app and apk), on the smartphone its runs ok (Huawei P9 lite Android 7.0), on the tablet it freeses at start up (blank or black screen -> time out then option to close the app) (Galaxy Tab A (2016) Android 6.0.1).
uninstalling, resetting etc... no joy :-(
will keep trying

Luc

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 am

ON1GL wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am upgraded from 0.4.1 to 0.4.2 (app and apk), on the smartphone its runs ok (Huawei P9 lite Android 7.0), on the tablet it freeses at start up (blank or black screen -> time out then option to close the app) (Galaxy Tab A (2016) Android 6.0.1).
uninstalling, resetting etc... no joy :-(
I found a bug when starting the app without some preferences (settings) already configured.
I fixed it and republished the app (same version number)
Can you please try to download and install the app again and let me know if it fixed the issue ?
@Pavel : it may also fix your issue so it would be great if you could do the same (redownload/install the app)

ON1GL
Observer
Observer

Post by ON1GL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 am

Nice job ! its working again......
the "sort by distance" in the station selection menu is still fixed at your position....

Luc

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 am

ON1GL wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 am the "sort by distance" in the station selection menu is still fixed at your position....
Not sure what you mean by this. The sort by distance dialog will display a list with the current site you are visiting positionned as first element (not the nearest one). That's default behavior for settings. You have to scroll up to see the nearest site. Is it what you meant ?

ON1GL
Observer
Observer

Post by ON1GL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 pm

polbrieuc wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 am
ON1GL wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 am the "sort by distance" in the station selection menu is still fixed at your position....
Not sure what you mean by this. The sort by distance dialog will display a list with the current site you are visiting positionned as first element (not the nearest one). That's default behavior for settings. You have to scroll up to see the nearest site. Is it what you meant ?
the app asked for access to my location at startup, fine, the sort by distance gives me 'meteo els pinars' at 1.0 km and weatherstation antwerp at 1109 km

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 pm

ON1GL wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 pm the app asked for access to my location at startup, fine, the sort by distance gives me 'meteo els pinars' at 1.0 km and weatherstation antwerp at 1109 km
I see. The app sets a fake location when it cannot retrieve the user's location (before you give your approval). In this case, the fake location is my location.
While waiting for your permission, the app continues to load the sites and calculates the distances.
When you approve the usage of your location, the app "forgets" to update the distances. It's a bug that I will fix for the next version.
Can you confirm that the next time you open the app (after having closed it previously), the distances are updated ?
[EDIT] Can you also send a bug report from within the app please ?

ON1GL
Observer
Observer

Post by ON1GL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:28 pm

[[/quote]
Can you confirm that the next time you open the app (after having closed it previously), the distances are updated ?
[/quote]
oeps just read your edit at the last second....
1) the distance is not recalculated
2) after sending the bug report with the app, it crashes :-( do not know if you have recieved it ?)

Luc

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 pm

ON1GL wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:28 pm
oeps just read your edit at the last second....
1) the distance is not recalculated
2) after sending the bug report with the app, it crashes :-( do not know if you have recieved it ?)
Ok, I'll have to check these issues more in detail...
And I did not receive the bug report :-( Does it crash straight away when you click on the button send or a couple of seconds later ?
If anybody else can try to send me a bug report (left menu, last option), it would be very much appreciated.
[EDIT] I am receiving bug reports (I assume from you Luc, description being bug report Huawei P9 lite).
The current location is never retrieved, it seems that there is no last know location. I will work on that.

Pavel
Observer
Observer

Post by Pavel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 pm

polbrieuc wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 am

I found a bug when starting the app without some preferences (settings) already configured.
I fixed it and republished the app (same version number)
Can you please try to download and install the app again and let me know if it fixed the issue ?
@Pavel : it may also fix your issue so it would be great if you could do the same (redownload/install the app)
Hello, now the app in mobile works OK, until the left menu is still partly gray
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-01-22-13-26-48.png
Screenshot_2018-01-22-13-26-48.png (149.12 KiB) Viewed 10348 times

Pavel
Observer
Observer

Post by Pavel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:42 pm

When selecting els Pinars, the left menu is OK, with me and most other gray

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Pavel wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:42 pm When selecting els Pinars, the left menu is OK, with me and most other gray
Hi Pavel,

the issue was that your url registered in the app was http://meteo.kolarczyk.eu/ instead of http://meteo.kolarczyk.eu/meteotemplate/
I corrected it and now your site is displaying correctly, along with the left menu options your configured in the plugin :
You need to restart the app to see the changes (no need to re-install).

Cheers,

Pol-Brieuc

Pavel
Observer
Observer

Post by Pavel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm

thank you very much, it's OK, nice work

jay_hoehn
Language Admin
Language Admin
Station model: Vantage Pro 2 Plus
Software: WeeWx

Post by jay_hoehn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:27 pm

I just tried to send a bug report and when I pressed send the app crashed. Not sure if you got the report. I was asking about location. It seems my location is not in the app. Does this get set by the plugin?

Jay

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:19 pm

jay_hoehn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:27 pm I just tried to send a bug report and when I pressed send the app crashed. Not sure if you got the report. I was asking about location. It seems my location is not in the app. Does this get set by the plugin?

Jay
Hi Jay,

Are you talking about your device current location or your station location ?
Your station device location is hardcoded in the app site list that is loaded when the app starts. It is currently :
  • "lat": "32.33780000",
  • "lon": "-106.77090000",
If you are referring to your device location, there maybe an issue with the location service that does not retrieve correctly your current location. In that case, a fake location is created (my place). I am looking into it.
I am also looking into why the bug report crashes...

Cheers,

Pol-Brieuc

nitrx
Advisor
Advisor

Post by nitrx » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:39 pm

I've no bug crashes except when I push the bugs button :ugeek: then the app stops Galaxy S5 android 6
http://apeldoornmeteo.nl meteotemplate multilangual by Jachym
http://www.apeldoorn.tk/weer/index.php Saratogatemplate by mulilangual
http://apeldoorn.tk/weer Cumulus template Dutch only by Steve/Sandaysoft
http://apeldoornmeteo.nl/pws/ Home Weather Station by Brian multilangual

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 pm

nitrx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:39 pm I've no bug crashes except when I push the bugs button :ugeek: then the app stops Galaxy S5 android 6
Yep, found a bug in the leftmenu preparation.
Just to confirm : it crashes when you click on the left menu option "Report a Bug", right ? You never get to see the actual dialog displayed ?

jay_hoehn
Language Admin
Language Admin

Post by jay_hoehn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:08 pm

I got the dialog box but when I clicked submit it crashed.

Jay

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 pm

jay_hoehn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:08 pm I got the dialog box but when I clicked submit it crashed.
Hum, that's a different bug then.
Can I ask you the favor to download and install the app again from this link and try to send a bug report again ?

jay_hoehn
Language Admin
Language Admin

Post by jay_hoehn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm

Just installed from the link and same result.

Jay

polbrieuc
Advisor
Advisor

Post by polbrieuc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:57 pm

jay_hoehn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm Just installed from the link and same result.
No luck :-(
Can I ask you again to download and install the app from this link and try to send a bug report ? (Last try and if it fails, I'll have to find another way).
Thanks.