Slow loading site large db?

livejerseyweather
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
Software: Weather Display

Slow loading site large db?

Post by livejerseyweather » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi there. I have been having real issues with my sit not loading or loading very slowly. http://www.jerseyweather.net but I do have a database over 1.2million entries goinging back to 2005 and think this might be the case?
Hope someone can help

wxthomson
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Pro 2

Re: Slow loading site large db?

Post by wxthomson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:37 am

It loads for me in 14-16 seconds

John B
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: La Crosse WS2355

Post by John B » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 am

G'day our Jersey wrapped friend.

Other than the missing second full-width block (DarkSky & MeteoBlue) which shows nothing at all other than the options button, it seems to be fine. The speed of loading, given your webcam and maps, also seems good to me.

Regards,
John

livejerseyweather
Observer
Observer

Post by livejerseyweather » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks both I am not sure what is going on with the second block as looks fine to me. Hmmmm will look inot that. So that's a normal page load for a DB that size then? :shock:

John B
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: La Crosse WS2355

Post by John B » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 am

Well, I don't know what happened yesterday, but your second block is now operating as it should.

I timed your site today and it's roughly the same for me as for your first responder. So I timed my own site; it was about two seconds faster in loading than yours, but it's not as heavily reliant on downloads from external sites as is yours. You might time your own - from the time you hit the button to the time it finishes loading - and see if there's much difference to our timings.

PHP is not a super fast system when dealing with web sites,, by the way, although the latest version (7.x I believe) is much faster than earlier versions. At least it was for me when I changed (in my host's c-panel) from my earlier one. I cannot remember now which version it was, but it was most assuredly s..l..o..w.

Of course there is a number of other factors when it comes to perceived speeds when it comes to the Internet, but I suspect that you are au fait with those. In Jáchym's system there is a method by which you can reduce load times, and thus the bandwidth used for your users, and that is by using the "mini-menu" for individual blocks which are likely to be little used by your visitors. If you look at my site you will see three blocks with the three horizontal bar glyph. These indicate a sub-menu of blocks. The advantage of those is that they are not loaded when the index page is loaded, only when they are selected.

Ruddy 'eck, I've been waffling again.

Cheers,
John

livejerseyweather
Observer
Observer

Post by livejerseyweather » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi there

Thanks for that and don't worry I waffle too!

Good points there and thanks for taking the time to reply. I will experiment over the coming weeks.

Ta from a rainy Jersey

Ethan

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:55 pm

My site. www.nicomaparkwx.com is similar yours in that it has a large database also but I also noticed a slow down in load times about 3-6 months ago. Has nothing to do with MT I am betting.

milesb
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2

Post by milesb » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 pm

I have a 1.4 million database entries for my site, back to early 2005, but I don't have the delay I noticed with your site. I would suspect your hosting providers end.

http://www.sunset-weather.com/template/indexDesktop.php

dmgould
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Davis Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Software: Meteobridge

Post by dmgould » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:46 am

It's not a database issue. It seems to me to be a pointing issue. When it finally accesses your index.php file, it immediately points to your indexDesktop.php and the site loads quickly. Your database doesn't get involved until indexDesktop.php loads the main page and calls for data. The delay when I go to your site is waiting on your index.php file. I would check with your host support about a pointing delay.
Dave G

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 am

Yeah I think for me it was a host server issue. After a long call to 1&1 with nothing being resolved it mysteriously started working as it should have. I wonder if they slowed me down since I would not fork over more money.