Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin
Station model: WH1080
Software: Meteobridge

PHP 8.0 incompatible

Post by Jachym » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:46 pm

Hi guys,

this is just to let you know, unfortunately the current version of MT is incompatible with the newest PHP 8.0.

First of all, my provider does not yet provide it, which makes it difficult for me to test and fix.

Second, more importantly, there really is a lot of changes and the code breaks at several points. To explain, PHP used to be a very poorly written language. Over time it developed a lot. However, there still have been some things that developers just had to get used to. Guys developing PHP have now decided they would fix many of these rather poorly dealt with things. Whether this is a good decision is a question. Us, who develop in PHP, have got used to these specialities of PHP and changing it now leads to many fatal errors in the code written for the previous versions of PHP.

My guess is that I will try to make the newly prepared template compatible with PHP 8.0, but not the current one. Also, there is not that much new in PHP 8.0, it is slightly faster, but really only slightly. The huge speed step is between 5 and 7 (6 does not exist). Latest supported version by MT is PHP 7.4.

rezel
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Software: Weatherdisplay

Re: PHP 8.0 incompatible

Post by rezel » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:58 pm

Ab wann kann man mit der Meteotemplate Version 8.0 rechnen ??
müssen wir ende 2022 alle die Meteotemplate habe auf unsere Arbeit verabschieden oder begraben ??
Mfg vom René

Die verwendete PHP-Version „7.4.30“ erhält, vom PHP-Projekt, nur noch Sicherheits-Updates. Das bedeutet, dass diese PHP-Version bald nicht mehr unterstützt wird. Es wird empfohlen zeitnah ein Update auf eine aktuellere PHP-Version durchzuführen, bevor die verwendete Version zum 28.11.2022 nicht mehr aktualisiert wird. Joomla! wird mit einer neueren PHP-Version schneller und sicherer sein. Der Webhoster kann bei der Aktualisierung unterstützen.

stargazer
Station model: Davis Pro 2
Software: Weather Display

Post by stargazer » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:04 pm

Any update on this ? My provider has switched hard to 8.0, so my site is down now

lemimi
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Brandson 304557

Post by lemimi » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:14 am

Hello,

Maybe it would be good to put your website address so some of us can investigate what is wrong. Difficult to help you out without it.
A Fatal Error in PHP 8 leads to a white screen!
On the other hand, it runs with dozens of other errors, Deprecated, Warning.
Even if @Joachim, @Davidefa or others don't solve all the problems, they can point us to a path to explore to make it work.
Add ?&errors to the end of your URL to see what's wrong, or also press F12 on your keyboard to bring up the debug console.
This is running under PHP 8.1, with error view:
https://www.lemimi.fr/template/indexDesktop.php?errors
Normal view under PHP 8.1:
https://www.lemimi.fr/template/indexDesktop.php

Have a nice day and be brave...Michel
Last edited by lemimi on Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:13 am

stargazer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:04 pm Any update on this ? My provider has switched hard to 8.0, so my site is down now
If you search this site for David's PHP 8.0 and 8.1.1 there are some temporary fixes that at least get php 8.0 and 8.1 working. Not completely but enough to work. We are all going through the same things here.

Try to read the most recent treads what others have tried.

Reinhard
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Davis VP2 Pro wireless
Software: WeatherCat

Post by Reinhard » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:41 pm

First of all, my provider does not yet provide it, which makes it difficult for me to test and fix.
You are using a provider that is not up to date. Maybe.
...To explain, PHP used to be a very poorly written language.... Guys developing PHP have now decided they would fix many of these rather poorly dealt with things. Whether this is a good decision is a question.
Everyone else is to blame but not me.

Dear Jachym, you enjoyed me for several years with your amazing template, but the incompetence (or besser sayed the not willing of doing it to the new demands) of holding the template up-to-date forced me to say goodbye. Thanks for your efforts in the past time - much appreciated!

Over and out, Reinhard

Julius
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Barani MeteoHelix
Software: meteobridge

Post by Julius » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:03 pm

Reinhard wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:41 pm
You are using a provider that is not up to date. Maybe.
The current stable release of Debian, which still is *the* largest used linux distro for servers, docker, cloud instances, azure, AWS, google, worldwide, is still providing, updating and recommending PHP 7.4.
You can blame software that runs perfectly fine on the current stable debian release, but that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. So it's actually the other way around; Jachym is using a sensible provider, and you're not.

meteoparquecoimbra
Station model: WMR928NX, Oregon Scientic
Software: Virtual Weather Station

Post by meteoparquecoimbra » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:53 pm

My provider (Strato) has notified me that they no longer support php 7.x and that I have to move to php 8.0 which is not supported. Is there any solution for this problem? Thanks in advance

FSC830
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2
Software: Meteobridge

Post by FSC830 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:58 pm

We are running at same provider: click.

Regards

davidefa
Expert
Expert
Station model: WH2650
Software: WH2650 (direct upload)

Post by davidefa » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:14 pm

For those those having to upgrade their servers to php 8.x I can suggest this post/thread
A few minor 'hiccups' if you install the mods after already having switched to php 8.x