All links on Website Down

riteoh
Observer
Observer

All links on Website Down

Post by riteoh » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:03 pm

Ok - for a start, my site is www.eyesontheweather.com.au.

At some time in the last... few (?) days, the site, whilst loading, does not seem to be loading with the home page, most links on the site are not opening a new page, and the admin section from the footer has totally disappeared.

I'm at a loss to exactly what has happened, and how to fix. Looking for help!!

My site set up is a little bit unusual - in that my data comes from a Davis Vantage Pro, and Weatherlink software, that is then upoloded to cumulus, with a Cron job to get the data from Cumulus. Or at least I think that is the way it works!!

All data seems to be uploading correctly - it's just the site that is not responding.

Does anybody have any idea on how to fix and get things running again?

riteoh
Observer
Observer

Re: All links on Website Down

Post by riteoh » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:55 am

Ok - so it doesn't look like there is a solution out there, so I'm guessing I will have to install the site again from scratch.

When I first set the site up, I had numerous issues trying to get the data to upload correctly - as I couldn't seem to get the address correct for where the information was being uploaded. I also don't want to have to configure the site again.

Is there a file (files??) where all the setup information is stored from when meto is first setup - what I am hoping to do is to reinstall, and then just copy these files across with the original settings, so that everything should be working.

Unless anybody has any other recommendations???

alexvanuxem
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Software: Meteobridge

Post by alexvanuxem » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:19 pm

hi, when I open your site it all seems to be working fine?

or I'm already too late, and you started allover again?

grtz

riteoh
Observer
Observer

Post by riteoh » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:41 pm

The 'format' of my home page is totally wrong - for example, it doesn't (and used to) look like the default format of your site.

Clicking on any of the links on the page, doesn't open a new page, but seems to 'try' and show the data at the bottom of the page, which also has small brown blocks which seem to be help blocks.

There is no footer where I can access the admin menu, and all blocks on the page have disappeared!

This is what seems to be wrong. It's strange, as when I access the site using ftp, all the files have original dates - none have been edited, so I'm not sure what has gone wrong.

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:59 am

riteoh wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:41 pm The 'format' of my home page is totally wrong - for example, it doesn't (and used to) look like the default format of your site.

Clicking on any of the links on the page, doesn't open a new page, but seems to 'try' and show the data at the bottom of the page, which also has small brown blocks which seem to be help blocks.

There is no footer where I can access the admin menu, and all blocks on the page have disappeared!

This is what seems to be wrong. It's strange, as when I access the site using ftp, all the files have original dates - none have been edited, so I'm not sure what has gone wrong.
Try to upload your back-up config.php file. See if your host dropped support for php 7.4 or if you recently made any changes.

riteoh
Observer
Observer

Post by riteoh » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:34 am

Try to upload your back-up config.php file. See if your host dropped support for php 7.4 or if you recently made any changes.
Where would I find the backup config.php file? There are no files in the backup folder on my site.

Host was showing that some domains were at 8.1 - but eyesontheweather.com.au was at 7.4. Changed all sites to 7.3 - no change to the loading of the page. Changes all domains to 7.4 - same issue still persists.

No files on the host appear to have a version date AFTER the original installation date (2/5/21) except for .ftpquota

andyk1
Professional
Professional

Post by andyk1 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:39 am

That means you never created a back up. Not sure how to help except undo any changes. You could delete the config.php and recreate it but you would need to know all the settings before doing so.

riteoh
Observer
Observer

Post by riteoh » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:27 am

Thanks.

Hard to undo any changes when there have been no changes to the site. Something strange has happened somewhere. Might have to reinstall and start again.

I'm guessing if I keep a backup of the site as is, and reinstall, hopefully the info in the config.php file will help me set up again.

andyk1
Professional
Professional

Post by andyk1 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:01 pm

I had that same problem a few times and it was due to a change I made. I don't remember now what the issue was but it was caused by something I did.

Look in your config.php first and see if anything doesn't match. Did you add or remove SS i.e. (http) to https)? changed a directory link or permission?

riteoh
Observer
Observer

Post by riteoh » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:02 am

I haven't changed anything on the site for months, and interestingly, the site is also down when viewed on my mobile phone.

I don't have a very good understanding of code, php, etc.. however a thought from reading all the forum questions was whether it was related to a php change.

I can't find out WHEN my server changed to php, but it currently shows the system default PHP version is PHP 8.1 (ea-php81).

In my server's control panel, I can set the PHP Version per Domain. I have the following details there:

Domain :eyesontheweather.com.au
PHP version : PHP 7.4 (ea-php74)
PHP-FPM - there is a crossed out circle.

Also this page states that "Any domain that is set to the inherit value indicates that it does not have its own PHP version explicitly set." - but I have no idea what that means.

Given that my site is loading with a white page, links on the page that don't open a new page, and all formatting is lost, could it be related to php, and I'm somehow using the wrong version of php?

There is another server that I could start again on, but when I initially tried to set my site up on that server, I couldn't get it to work, so left it here. I don't want to go down that path again!

I'm also ready to just give up, and leave things the way they are, even though it is less than perfect - I don't have the confidence to back up the site, reinstall and set everything up again - things like the path to my realtime.txt really were not straightforward last time.

Ideally I'd like to be able to see all the admin settings on the admin page, copy them so I know what they are if I reinstall - but I have lost access to my admin.

So... reaching out to anybody that can help!!! I really don't know what I'm doing, or how to fix.

andyk1
Professional
Professional

Post by andyk1 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:22 am

Then the issue would be with your host. Call and ask if they moved to php 8.0 or 8.1. They should have waited for 12/31/2022 or (31/12/2022 depending on your countries date scheme) Did you update any of David's php 8.0 or 8.1 updates? If you did you should be ready. Some hosts make you manually change PHP versions and should not do it automatically. All I can think of.

P.S. I just remembered. Once my host changed my SSL certificate without telling me. Ask if the did or canceled it as some will as they want you to pay for the use of HTTPS vise HTTP. If you made no changes it more than likely is on your host's side. You can call them for advise. Don't stop sending data as that is usually handled on a different server by most sites and shouldn't affect data gathering. Setting up a whole new site would lead to the same issues.

If I remember what caused my issue like yours I'll let you know.