Nice url/picture on Facebook.

tobydude
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Netatmo
Software: Weatherdiaplay

Nice url/picture on Facebook.

Post by tobydude » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:41 am

When I post the url of my weather page on Facebook, it only shows an ugly, simple url with no picture or any "info".
I have talked to my webpage server host (proisp) , but they can´t do anything about it.
Is it possible to make a block that let users of Meteotemplate post their weather page url on Facebook with a picture?
The picture could be for example one of the blocks or an other picture of choice.

MJW
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: AW WS-2000ish
Software: Meteobridge/OIP/GW-1000

Re: Nice url/picture on Facebook.

Post by MJW » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:31 pm

My signature is actually a gif image that can be shared on FB (http://weather.westfamilynj.net/sig.gif), I just need to remember how I automated the process of saving the sticker php as a gif.

**edit

It is actually a javascript file, that when the sig.gif is loaded, actually displays the signature block instead. The file contents are -

Code: Select all

document.write('<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" name="iframe1" id="iframe1" width="500" height="150" src="http://weather.westfamilynj.net/meteo/stickersWU/stickerInteractive.php?text=Observatory%20West,%20Sussex%20NJ&type=interactive" align="top" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>');
I think it is a setting on my web server to use the javascript, I need to figure out how I did that.
So many trees in NJ!

MJW
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MJW » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:50 pm

ok I figured it out. Along with the previous sig.js file above, my .htaccess has -

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
</IfModule>

redirect /sig.gif http://weather.westfamilynj.net/meteo/plugins/stickers/stickerInteractive.php?text=Observatory%20West,%20Sussex%20NJ&dualUnits=1&type=interactive

redirect /sig500.gif http://weather.westfamilynj.net/meteo/plugins/stickers/stickerInteractive500.php?text=Observatory%20West,%20Sussex%20NJ&dualUnits=1&type=interactive
That tells the webserver that when one of the sig graphic files is requested, actually serve the sticker php file instead.
So many trees in NJ!

davidefa
Expert
Expert
Station model: WH2650
Software: WH2650 (direct upload)

Post by davidefa » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Hy Ståle, if you enable ( in meteotemplate control panel->main setup ) these options

block_image.png
block_image.png (96.54 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

every blocks will have the capability to save a snapshot of the block itself ( clicking the picture icon on the lower right )
Only a small annoyance for menuBlocks ( those that have a menu on the upper left ): the snapshot won't work until you select one element from the menu.

block_image1.png
block_image1.png (17.97 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

tobydude
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by tobydude » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:05 pm

Thanks.
The settings are like on your picture.
The page show only text, an no links works. :)

There is no "menu" in the rain block.

tobydude
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by tobydude » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:00 pm

The rain block:
I finally understand.:)
Thank you

tobydude
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by tobydude » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:09 am

MJW wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:31 pm My signature is actually a gif image that can be shared on FB
Nice.
Can you make me one? :)

MJW
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MJW » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:33 am

tobydude wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:09 am Nice.
Can you make me one? :)
Not really, it requires admin access to your meteotemplate installation, plus the ability to load files to your server. It is easy to do though,

1. Load the stickers plugin in meteotemplate.
2. Create a text file called "sig.js" and paste this code in it, changing my site information for yours -

document.write('<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" name="iframe1" id="iframe1" width="500" height="150" src="http://weather.westfamilynj.net/meteo/stickersWU/stickerInteractive.php?text=Observatory%20West,%20Sussex%20NJ&type=interactive" align="top" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>');

3. Modify if you have one, otherwise create a file called ".htaccess" and paste this code in it, changing my site information for yours -

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
</IfModule>

redirect /sig.gif http://weather.westfamilynj.net/meteo/plugins/stickers/stickerInteractive.php?text=Observatory%20West,%20Sussex%20NJ&dualUnits=1&type=interactive
4. .htaccess goes in the root directory of your website, mine is at weather.westfamilynj.net, not further down in the structure where the meteotemplate resides.
5. sig.js goes pretty much anywhere in your site, it could be the root, or the home folder of your meteotemplate installation. Mine is at weather.westfamilynj.net/sig.gif.
So many trees in NJ!

tobydude
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by tobydude » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:35 am

Thank you.
i certainly will give it a try.

tobydude
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by tobydude » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:11 am

Hey.
It works on facebook and show the right weather values. :)
Thank you.
Is it possible to make it so my actual weather page opens in a new link (tab), when clicking on the banner picture?