No access to mySQL database? SOLVED

Sarah R Taylor
Station model: Davis Vantage Vue
Software: I hope to use a Meteo-Pi

No access to mySQL database? SOLVED

Post by Sarah R Taylor » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:54 pm

I have set up my weather site using Hostinger as the host. I have been able to get my site available at:
https://www.owlsheadns.com/template/indexDesktop.php
which correctly shows some information from Environment Canada - so the template is working.

But getting data from my station into the mySQL database is not working. I have a Davis VantageVue and have been using a MeteoPi ethernet logger to upload the data to Weatherlink.com (Davis) and also to WeatherUnderground. I know the data is getting to those sites because I can see the results there, and I also have an alternate weather page at:
https://www.owlsheadns.com/pwsWD/index.php
which works fine - I wanted to try the Meteotemplate also.

I have tried using cron jobs to get data from WeatherUnderground (using the built-in functions) and also tried getting data from Weatherlink using the wlIP plugin. No data ever arrives. Hostinger allows you to test your cron job and I get an error message:
Cron output
Could not open input file: /home/<correct-host-account-number>/public_html/template/plugins/wlIP/wlIPupdate.php?password=<various-passwords>
or similar with the WU data.
(where <correct-host-account-number> matches my Hostinger account)
(where <various-passwords> are several I have tried that are one part or another from the template of the mySQL setup)

I am unsure of what precise password should be used here - is it the mySQL password or the update password or what? - In any event I have tried them all and always get a similar result. I *think* the error message is coming from my host provider because I haven't found such message string in the template .php files I checked.

What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Sarah R Taylor on Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah R Taylor
Station model: Davis Vantage Vue
Software: I hope to use a Meteo-Pi

Re: No access to mySQL database? Solved

Post by Sarah R Taylor » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:41 am

I erased all the files from my host's server and reinstalled everything. I now have a working site that I still need to work on setting up. But it looks like the data is hitting my mySQL data base.

One thing I should have tried before starting over was this => I had the Admin password and the Update password the same. The installation setup warns you about this to be insecure, but I think it *may* have been a fatal error. Some php scripts check for the update password and if you are using the admin password the script does something different before it gets to the test for the update password.

Another thing was I was trying the cron job from my host provider and there seems to have been something subtle there that I missed, but the Cron-Job.org facility works fine for me.