Meteotemplate - process of updating

Juan Maria Vilaró
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Vantage Vue
Software: Weather Dislplay

Re: Meteotemplate - process of updating

Post by Juan Maria Vilaró » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:39 am

After requesting the token from Mr. Jachym, I have proceeded to update the template from V.18 to V.19 and it has been updated without any problem and the first time, all the blocks and plugins working.
Thanks Jachym

Oli
Observer
Observer
Station model: HP1000SE PRO
Software: weeWX

Post by Oli » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:54 am

Strange: After 1.5 month my site was running without any problems under php 8.2, since this morning it didn't work anymore: I couldn't call the desktop layout at all and the mobile layout didn't show the Steel-Series instruments.
I switched to php 7.4 as a test, everything works there. I have changed NOTHING.
I'll have to look into that when I have time.

Edit: Seems to work with the api.php joachym mentioned here.

Edit 2: Short pleasure, after half an hour I had to go back to php 7.4 after all.

milesb
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2
Software: Weather Display

Post by milesb » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:54 pm

Oli wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:54 am Strange: After 1.5 month my site was running without any problems under php 8.2, since this morning it didn't work anymore: I couldn't call the desktop layout at all and the mobile layout didn't show the Steel-Series instruments.
I switched to php 7.4 as a test, everything works there. I have changed NOTHING.
I'll have to look into that when I have time.

Edit: Seems to work with the api.php joachym mentioned here.

Edit 2: Short pleasure, after half an hour I had to go back to php 7.4 after all.
UPDATE 9/17/23

After trying another api.php from Jachym, without success, he simply had me delete cache/apiCache.txt.
Problem solved

I am having a similar experience.

After the initial upgrade, I discovered that the database was not updating. Jachym corrected that with the api.php he posted in this thread. Things were working fine for about a week or so... until the database stopped updating again. The update stopped at 3 AM my time, plus I had changed nothing either on my site or locally. I have tried it under PHP versions, 8.0, 8.1, and 8.2. I cannot test under 7.x, as my hosting company has eliminated that option, without purchasing a support package.

It is receiving data from my weather station, (via Weather Display), as the Current Block is updating in real time. But many blocks are non-functional, as many rely on the database data.

Jachym has asked for additional details, so I'm assuming he is trying to sort things out.

I have resorted to manually updating the database via data import every few days.
Last edited by milesb on Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemimi
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Brandson 304557

Post by lemimi » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:56 pm

Hello,
My Meteotemplate is currently running on PHP 8.2.8, and my SSgauges block is displaying without errors.
You can see it here: https://www.lemimi.fr/template/indexDesktop.php
The zipped file to download is here: https://www.lemimi.fr/chargements/divers/ssGauges.zip
And the SteelSeries plugin:https://www.lemimi.fr/chargements/diver ... Series.zip
If that can be of assistance... Michel

PCW
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Pro2
Software: Meteobridge

Post by PCW » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:34 pm

Updating to 19 flawless using php 7.2! Since all is working normally, I'm not going to upgrade to php 8 or higher.

livefeed
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis pro 2

Post by livefeed » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:48 pm

I am on php 8.2 and now noticing my data is not updating, @Jachym only way I can find to get it working again is to delate the apiCache.txt as mentioned in a post above. I am using the update api, any ideas?

justinhow
Observer
Observer

Post by justinhow » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:15 pm

Exactly what I found. API updates were not reliable. I went back to PHP 7.x to get it working again.
Shame Jachym has been so silent on this thread over last couple of weeks.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2, Weather Display, meteotemplate 19.0
My Weather website: https://www.dumfries-weather.com (this site is geo-restricted)
Latest VERiFIED meteotemplate users.txt file is Here

FSC830
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by FSC830 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:40 pm

justinhow wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:15 pm Exactly what I found. API updates were not reliable. I went back to PHP 7.x to get it working again.
Shame Jachym has been so silent on this thread over last couple of weeks.
Its a shame, that people claim for an instant fix when using a freeware. Jachym did clearly say, that he is currently short of time.

What happens, if you run the api.php manually, any error message?
To run manually, type "http(s)://yourdomain/api.php?PASSWORD=update" where "yourdomain" is the path to your template and "update" the update password you entered in main setup.

Regards

livefeed
Observer
Observer

Post by livefeed » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:00 pm

@FSC830 thanks for the replay, for me running that line I get 'Success'

justinhow
Observer
Observer

Post by justinhow » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:05 pm

I have back revved PHP to 7 and I have no plans to go back to 8.x until Jachym has a little more time to look at issues.
I realise Jachym is very busy and does all this work in his spare time, but I would just suggest it is unwise to do a major code release when you know you have little time to deal with the inevitable problems that will arise because of it.
I am not attacking Jachym - I think he has done a terrific job with meteotemplate. However if I had known his time was so short after the release of 19.0 I probably would have hung back for a few months.
Meteotemplate is free so I realise Jachym can do as little or as much as he wants.
PS I will not comment further on this as I don't want to get into a argument over it.
My Weather website: https://www.dumfries-weather.com (this site is geo-restricted)

FSC830
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by FSC830 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:03 pm

Strange, if the manual command returns "success", the automatic update should work too.
Did you check in database the manual updates are reflected too?

The weird thing is, that a couple of installations are running without issues, whereas others show different issues, there is no common root cause to identify, that makes troubleshooting very difficult. :cry:
I know that Jachym is investigating and in all of my installations (real and VMs) the code is running with all blocks I am using at my MT site. 8-) As said, very weird :? .

The main trigger for releasing the code was that a lot of users (me too) are facing the issue that their providers disabled PHP v7.x or at least raise a support fee if not updating to PHP 8.x, so may be not all blocks/plugins/pages have been tested long enough. For my site I learned that after running for some days the site was not reachable from time to time. It took me nearly 2 days until I found the reason: the changed weather conditions in interactive banner called a function, which was not modified for PHP 8. I found this by running the same code in a VM with PHP 7 which works well all the time (the code is downwards compatible).

Which version of DB are you running? My is a mysql DB, still a version 5. Planning to migrate to v8 in the next time. But I am currently short of time too and have to postpone some tasks.

Regards

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin
Station model: WH1080

Post by Jachym » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:16 pm

Hi,
if you have an urgent issue please email me. I do reply to emails within 24-48 hours usually. I get dozens of emails daily. This PHP8 upgrade really is a nightmare because I see new and new issues every day. It is not something I was used to - usually if there is an issue it manifests to all and you fix it and it works. Now I have seen at least 25 different issues for users on PHP8.2, while for others it works perfectly fine (do not ask me why, I don´t know :D).

It takes about 45-60 minutes daily to deal with the emails so I do admit I have little time to watch the forum now.

I do plan on releasing a bug fix package v19.1, but not until the emails sort of stop - until I will be getting reports of issues I want to fix them all (except blocks and plugins, those need to be dealt with separately).

justinhow
Observer
Observer

Post by justinhow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:48 pm

Thanks for the status update Jachym.

livefeed
Observer
Observer

Post by livefeed » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:57 pm

Yes thank you @Jachym, I think I am going to slip back to 8.1 php and see if that helps.

steph
Observer
Observer
Station model: Ecowitt
Software: Ecowitt gw1100/Raspberry

Post by steph » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:29 pm

Thanks Jachym,

I'm still in 7.4 and no problem yet.

I'm still going to wait before upgrading to 8.2.

Hi

kd7eir
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Ecowitt Wittboy
Software: FOSHKplugin

Post by kd7eir » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:58 pm

I just downloaded the update from the main site, and there is no updateTemplate.php in the folder.

Any suggestions?

javigar66
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro II

Post by javigar66 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:06 am

lemimi wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:56 pm Hello,
My Meteotemplate is currently running on PHP 8.2.8, and my SSgauges block is displaying without errors.
You can see it here: https://www.lemimi.fr/template/indexDesktop.php
The zipped file to download is here: https://www.lemimi.fr/chargements/divers/ssGauges.zip
And the SteelSeries plugin:https://www.lemimi.fr/chargements/diver ... Series.zip
If that can be of assistance... Michel
Hello.

After updating Meteotemplate to version 19.0 and moving my hosting to php 8.2, the steelSeries clocks stopped working, especially between 0:00 and 12:00 pm.
I have installed your plugin 4.1 and the ssGauges 3.2 block and the problem is solved.
Just a small observation, when changing days, an error appears in the plugin for a few seconds.

Thank you very much for your help lemimi.

Gerrit
Observer
Observer
Station model: Vantage pro 2 plus

Post by Gerrit » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:01 pm

Good day

I requested a token for version 19 I received it, downloaded version 19 and opened it, however I can't find the folder update_19.0 anywhere.

Gerrit

lemimi
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Brandson 304557

Post by lemimi » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:48 pm

Hello,
Maybe develop and try in template/update/update.php
Good luck... Michel

Gerrit
Observer
Observer
Station model: Vantage pro 2 plus

Post by Gerrit » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:02 pm

Unfortunately, no result, get this message, No password provided,

https://waskolkweer.nl/meteotemplate/update/update.php

milesb
Observer
Observer

Post by milesb » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:13 pm

Help!

This one has me stumped. I am running Meteotemplate 19, PHP version 8.2.14, I have updated both ssGauges block to 3.2, and steelGauges plugin to 4.1

In either case, both display gauges, but do not populate them with current data. The plugin displays "error: Internal Server Error"

What am I missing.

tobydude
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Netatmo
Software: Weatherdiaplay

Post by tobydude » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:58 pm

Your page looks strange. Must be a browser issue.
I dont know , but I would have played with the setup in the "Meteotemplate Settings".

milesb
Observer
Observer

Post by milesb » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:15 am

Victim of failing to notice a problem, but it's still not working. Just a more detailed error message.

What tripped me up is that every now and then the "apiCache.txt" file becomes corrupt on the server, which prevents any further updates to the database. Always happens at 03:05:00 time stamp, and maybe once a month or less. Happened again, and tripped me up. Jachym is aware, and others have experienced this, but no resolution. If I delete the apiCache.txt file, it starts updating the database again. I use WeatherDisplay to upload the data to the server, then import it using the data import function.

Still, the gauges are not being populated with data, but the error message is different. The steelGauges plugin now displays the error "parsererror: Syntaxerror: JSON.parse: undetermied string literal at line 58 column 7 of the JSON data"

So again... any help appreciated.