New Meteobridge device installed

Dehatter
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WH80
Software: Ecowitt GW1000

New Meteobridge device installed

Post by Dehatter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:39 am

I have a hub style PWS with no PC connection or console. I had been dependent on WU for template updates, but after last week was looking for alternatives so I could divorce myself from WU.

This morning I installed a Meteobridge device. I had noticed that Meteobridge supported Ambient IP WSs and the template directly, so I thought it would be the most logical choice. It was surprisingly easy, I used a D-link DIR-505 router and flashed it as described in the Meteobridge Wiki (thank you Jachym for the .bin file - not sure why the download page on the Wiki is not working). One of the things that did not go as I expected was that after flashing, the modem's led was fast blinking green. I could not find documentation as to what that meant and thought I had done something wrong, but rebooting it fixed that issue. Following the Wiki, I found the new IP address of the device, and started my first Meteobridge session. I simply filled in the information, still following the directions in the Wiki, and at the end (when there were no errors) it rebooted by itself (which was not expected). One little hic-up was that the box beside Ambient IP should be filled in with the IP address of the hub (not documented). After the reboot, I could not login, and wondered what I had done wrong, but then read it could take up to 5 minutes to 'settle down' and shortly it finally allowed me to login (after numerous attempts with various UN/PW combinations...with UN=meteobridge/PW=xxmynewonexx). Clicked on live data and bingo...it was working! I then changed the template from WU to API and absolutely have had no issues at all!! If anyone wants to get rid of WU, I can advise that this solution works.

My setup right now is that the hub still reports to Ambient.net, and the Meteobridge reports to WU and the template.

Cost of modem (from eBay) = $15 delivered
Cost of software is supposed to be 65 euros, and I am not sure exactly how much that is, but I guess I will find out!
Time to install from start to finish=30 minutes

I have 14 free days and I will choose what to do then.

Tom

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin
Station model: WH1080
Software: Meteobridge

Re: New Meteobridge device installed

Post by Jachym » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Until my PWS broke I used Meteobridge as well, long before I started Meteotemplate. It is IMHO the best option if you dont want to / cannot keep your PC on 24/7

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 am

Just so people know 65 euros was $81.50 when I did it this morning.

Tom

Ken Good
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
Software: Meteobridge

Post by Ken Good » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:03 am

I have used the meteobridge for a couple of years. I used it on my old weather station and never had any issues with it. I have it set up with a wireless connection.

Ken

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 pm

I too am using wireless. When I left it wired, all my wireless devices 'paused' every 10 secs, and I believe (with no data or proof as backup) that it was the meteobridge device. Wireless leaves no apparent footprint.

I am not sure of the device is listening to my station, or if it is listening to the 'hub' that my station reports to. I will do some testing this weekend to see (not that it matters, but I do want to know). Up eight days without a flaw, so as they say, Good so far! <- part of the joke -> (A man was falling from the top of a 25 story building and someone yelled out a window, "How are you doing?" "Good so far!" he responded, with a thumbs up. :o )

Tom

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:33 pm

after not being able to make a 3 day stretch without a lockup, I switched back to a wired connection. I did make the error of not changing the device to LAN in its own settings the first time, but since I did that it is working flawlessly. I use for a number of applications outside this template, and I am not sure if it was one of those or just butting heads with the ambient observer. It is much quicker wired and so far no connection issues.

tom

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:33 am

Have had my Meteobridge TL-MR3020 with downloaded firmware from the net since Nov 2017 then a TL-WR902AC about Jan-Feb of this year. Same thing... easily installed firmware from www.meteobridge.com site to repurpose small but fully functional routers. A few hiccups in the beginning but hasn't had a glitch in months. I also use an Ambient ObserverIP which am guessing you do also Tom.

For me the ObserverIP locks up requiring a reboot from once, twice a week. It has an auto reboot function if it stops sending that has never worked for me. Have been around and around with ED at Ambient about this for a long time with several firmware updates with ver 4.4 being the latest. The same hang/lockup results. Went as far as disabled WU and Ambient feeds from the ObserverIP and still the same.

Both Meteobridge and Observer are wired ethernet. Have tried the TL-902AC on both wireless and wired and both methods work just fine. never needs a reboot. Have it wired to take the load off the wireless router ASUS RT-AC88U which doesn't skip a beat with 33 devices connected.

Forgot to mention I use these devices along with an Ambient WS-2902 weather array. Very good and accurate weather device and highly calibratable.

Andy

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:40 am

andyk1 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:33 am Have been around and around with ED at Ambient about this for a long time with several firmware updates with ver 4.4 being the latest.
What version of 4.4 do you have?

Tom

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:53 am

Nevermind. 4.4.4 has been publicly released now.

We have had great success with this version. Only 2 lockups with 6 different MB devices over a total of 24 operating weeks.. I personally have never had the reboot loop, just a dropped server light, with a failure to respond. And no, the autoreboot has never worked for me either. I need to look at that code more closely.

Also, I moved to the MR3020V3 so I do not have to use a powered hub for USB, and the processor in the V3 is 3 times faster.

Anyone want my old (lol I used it for 2 months) DLink DIR-505? Already flashed (you need to buy or transfer a license) with MB. Willing to part with the device for cheap (like $20 delivered).

Tom

andyk1
Professional
Professional

Post by andyk1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 am

Hi Tom!!!

Sorry. I am using 4.4.2. I don't need to update to 4.4.4 since I stopped publishing to WU and ambient. The MB is the only feeder device I use for my feeds. Am still experiencing 1 to 2 lockups every week I haven't been able to pin down and am leaning toward hardware instead of software issue.

Andy

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 pm

I would consider upgrading as we changed the packet size, modified the code structure, and reduced the overhead.

Tom

andyk1
Professional
Professional

Post by andyk1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Dehatter wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 pm I would consider upgrading as we changed the packet size, modified the code structure, and reduced the overhead.

Tom
Hi Tom!!!

I did but ran into all sorts of problems upgrading to 4.4.4 I used me windows 10 machine and bricked the ObserverIP Biggly...:) Stuggled with it for about 10 hours trying every method I could find to recover it. Yes I turned off all the Firewall, Antivirus in win10 on the router (ASUS RT-AC88U) but still bricked it. Not a new thing for me as I have ran into this problem before if you've read my posts on wxforum. Long story short I remembered I used my wife's win7 machine (She refuses to upgrade to win10) which was my saving grace. Unbricked first try and mad at myself for not remembering the past struggles. Anyway all is good but I am still having lockup issues with the ObserverIP. Has a setting to reboot after 20 min of not sending data but has never worked for me. I also haven't noticed any changes but it is working fine for he most part other than the random lockup's.

Andy

P.S. I wish they would come out with a device with twice the memory the ObserverIP has, as I think it may be maxed out.

Dehatter
Professional
Professional

Post by Dehatter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Interesting..... Have you downloaded the latest IPtools?

I only have Windows 10 and no issues. I will have to find some time to delve into what happened on your device.

Tom

andyk1
Professional
Professional

Post by andyk1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:54 pm

Dehatter wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:15 pm Interesting..... Have you downloaded the latest IPtools?

I only have Windows 10 and no issues. I will have to find some time to delve into what happened on your device.

Tom
Yes new IPTOOLS, disabled all virus tools, Firewall etc. Have always had this problem on my WIN 10 machine and always forget I used my wifes win 7 which gives me no problems even not disabling virus... firewall. Something to do with my win10 setup but haven't found the reason yet or what is blocking the tftp update.

Andy