Scrolling Banner

WyoDog
Advisor
Advisor
Station model: Davis Pro2
Software: Weather Display

Scrolling Banner

Post by WyoDog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:58 am

Hi Jachym, I would like to see an scrolling banner block where text can be inserted and used when needed. It might look like a one line reader board. I would use it to call attention to a serious approaching storm or announcing the first day of fall or even wishing a local sports team good luck.

This is a link to some CSS code as an example. An animated pic might be cool for Halloween or such events. Perhaps the block could expand to the height of the text or pic, within some limits.

http://www.html.am/html-codes/marquees/css-marquee.cfm

Just a thought. Anyone else interested in this idea?

Terry
Terry

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin
Station model: WH1080
Software: Meteobridge

Re: Scrolling Banner

Post by Jachym » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 am

Hi Terry,

Let's see what others think, for me personally, marquees are a symbol of the internet of the nineties and something one tries to avoid for various reasons, but if people think something different I can look into it

Semtex
Observer
Observer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro Plus 2

Post by Semtex » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

Good idea
you can add other values.... solar and UV index
Davis Vantage Pro Plus 2

Jachym
Site Admin
Site Admin
Station model: WH1080

Post by Jachym » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 am

I normally dont take Google as some holy grail, correct in all respects, but in this case they are right, and were right already back in 2011

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-no- ... 13345.html

Here is just a few points to keep in mind:
- The content is unpredictable for users. Users don't know how large the content is, what order it appears in, where it starts or ends, and how long it will take to read all of it.
- It either scrolls too slow or too fast. If a reader is focused on reading the ticker, they will read it faster than it scrolls, which makes for a frustrating experience. On the other hand, if the scroll speed is increased, then users not focused on the ticker will find it difficult to focus on the content because it's moving too quickly.
- It's hard to read moving text. It's well studied that people don't read smoothly, but rather read words in chunks. Having those words move makes for a difficult reading experience (users spend disproportionate effort reading the moving letters, which reduces capacity for understanding the content).
- It's visually distracting. Moving elements on a page will automatically grab user attention. In the case of a ticker, the content is usually supposed to be peripheral to the main content on a page, but the animation causes it to be distracting to the main content.
- when you miss something you have to wait until the text finishes and then starts over again

dmgould
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Davis Pro 2 Plus Wireless

Post by dmgould » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 pm

I use the greetings block to notify my users of problems or changes on my page. For example, some WUnderground webcam images are currently not working, including mine, and I just noted that on one of my page using the greetings block. Also, my default radar site is down for several weeks, and I just noted that on my pages using the greetings block. It's not fancy like a ticker but it works for me.
Dave G