MT and Google Chrome

John B
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: La Crosse WS2355
Software: Weather Display

MT and Google Chrome

Post by John B » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:00 am

I have a problem with viewing my web site with Google's Chrome browser. It became apparent a few days ago.

After opening the browser and going to my MT site, after approximately 70-seconds, Chrome throws an 'Aw Snap' error message indicating that an error has occurred with the page. Refreshing the page produces the site again until 70-seconds later, when the message reappears.

As best I can tell it's a Chrome problem. It, however, does not affect any of the regular 'morning routine' sites that I visit on a daily basis. Nor has it affected any of the random sites I have visited in my attempt to find the problem. Perhaps it's a Chrome versus PHP (v7) conflict? To the best of my memory I have not installed any new programs in the last few days, nor have I made any changes to the MT site or Chrome settings.

I have another computer which is dedicated to running the weather site and camera; other than a few utilities and four browsers there is nothing else installed. Using Chrome on that computer the site was fine, no error messages. The computer on which I type this is for general purpose use and the one from which the site is managed. The weather computer runs Win 7 64-bit, this one Win 10 64-bit.

When looking around the Internet for possible solutions I came across an article on the release on Thursday 19th April of a new iteration of Chrome. So I checked the version on this computer, which told me I was up-to-date with the new version installed. Mind you, the problem started to occur prior to the date given for that upgrade. The weather computer still had a previous version installed, so I updated it. The weather computer's Chrome browser now exhibits the same problem as this one.

Incidentally, all six of my other browsers on this computer behaved (although only Firefox is known to be up-to-date - I haven't as yet checked the others).

So, has anyone else had a similar problem? and, if so, have you managed to solve it?

Sorry for the length of this posting,
Cheers,
John B

LOBWX
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Ambient WS 1401-IP
Software: MeteoBridge

Re: MT and Google Chrome

Post by LOBWX » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:23 am

I was just on your site for about ten minutes going here and there. Didn't notice anything weird.

Window 10 Pro 64 bit, Chrome Version 66.0.3359.117 (Official Build) (64-bit)
or
Chromium, version 60.0.3112.89 (Developer Build) Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 9.4 (32-bit) ;)
Just BE NICE! That's all it takes to be a decent human...

Johnny
Developer
Developer
Station model: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Software: Meteobridge

Post by Johnny » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 am

Hi John,

I was on your home page for about five minutes and it was all working great, updating about once a minute. Then I updated my Google Chrome browser to Version 66.0.3359.117 (Official Build) (64-bit) and it all went wrong. As you say at some point around 70 seconds the page just goes grey and Says "Aw, snap! something went wrong while displaying this web page"

However my own MT page continued to display fine.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus: http://www.watfordweather.uk

LOBWX
Forecaster
Forecaster
Station model: Ambient WS 1401-IP
Software: MeteoBridge

Post by LOBWX » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Sorry but Im getting the Snap message today with the latest Chrome. Weird, it was fine yesterday for me..
Just BE NICE! That's all it takes to be a decent human...

John B
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by John B » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 am

Thanks for your responses, 'tis most appreciated.

I have found the problem, but not the solution.

The ssGauges in the header are the cause. Removing them, and nothing else, the site behaves as it should. Why, I don't know.

The gauges are set to refresh at 30-second intervals and, to within a second, do so. So there's seemingly no connection with the refresh rate.

If anyone has ideas as to the solution I'm all ears.

John

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:10 am

Going thru... your site using I.E., Chrome and firefox I saw nothing wrong pausing for a few min at each block and selecting different menu Items seems all is working fine to me. Waited at the main url for 10 min and worked fine. No Awww snap for me.

Andy

P.S. Using win10 developers edition, Chrome developers edition. All 64bit

John B
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by John B » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 am

Thanks for your trouble, Andy.

Looking at the time of your post I'm guessing that you looked at the site after I'd removed the ssGauges. Or, perhaps, you were not using Chrome Version 66.0.3359.117 (Official Build) (64-bit)?

Either of those would see the site behaving itself. If that were not the case then the plot thickens. :(

John B
Forecaster
Forecaster

Post by John B » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:13 am

For those interested:

The problem is related to the refresh time.

The refresh time in the plugin set up was set at 5-seconds. The API is set for 30-seconds. I changed the set up to 30-seconds.

It did not solve the fault but it did extend the time before the error message to approx. 6 min 35 sec. Ergo, it seems that the delay to the error appearing is almost, but not quite, linear. 5-seconds = ~70 sec delay; 30-seconds = ~395 sec delay. The site is now running with the latter.

***** Edit:

I have just taken two more measurements on the 'new' delay: 5m39s and 5m36s (339 and 336 seconds). So linear goes out the window although the change in settings does make a significant difference.

andyk1
Professional
Professional
Station model: Ecowitt WS90
Software: Meteobridge/GW2000B

Post by andyk1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:52 am

Hello and Sorry I didn't include the Ver. Num.

No I was using Chrome Ver Num. 65.0.3325.81 Developers Edition and haven't updated to the latest yet. Waiting on comments about issues with latest.

Edit: To be honest I do not remember if you had Gauges on the site or not. Now that you mention that I can tell you I went through a month or so of tracking down an Issues I had with some users saying they had no trouble at all to some saying My ssGauges did not work correctly. The problem ended up being a free ssl certificate that could not be traced to being issued directly to my site. After receiving a signed and issued to my site everything worked fine. I also remember downgrading my PHP ver as low as 5.6 and that solved a few issues.

Re-reading you post again I remember having issues also when I had my api set for 6 seconds and then changing to 10 sec and all worked fine after that. I was unaware or missed the api was set to 30 sec. but did notice several users changing to 30 intervals.

Andy